Court Reporters

The San Luis Obispo Superior Court does not provide court reporters in civil matters or family law matters in either Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. If you wish your matter reported, you must hire a court reporter privately. Call (805) 788-3454 with any questions or to request a list of private reporters.




Official court reporters for San Luis Obispo County Superior Court provide the verbatim record of court proceedings in felony criminal and juvenile delinquency and dependency cases as provided by statute and/or local rule. Please refer to the court reporter coverage link above for information regarding court reporter coverage in family law and civil matters.

To be employed by the Superior Court, a court reporter must possess a valid Certified Shorthand Reporter (CSR) license, which is granted to successful candidates who pass the two-day examination administered by the Department of Consumer Affairs of the State of California.

Appearance Fees vs. Purchasing a Transcript

There is a difference between paying "court reporter appearance fees" and "purchasing a transcript." Until recently pursuant to Government Code Section 69953, in contested family law and unlimited civil case hearings lasting more than one hour and in all civil law and motion matters, parties paid "court reporter appearance fees" to ensure the presence of a court reporter. These fees are collected by the Court in the Jury Services office.

When "purchasing a transcript," the person or party is contracting with an individual court reporter for the actual transcript of the proceedings, pursuant to Government Code Section 69950. Transcript costs are governed by code and all arrangements for preparation, delivery and payment of transcript are between the requesting party and the individual court reporter. Official court reporters may be contacted directly by telephone or by email as indicated on the list below.

Contacting An Official Court Reporter

Supervising Court Reporter:            Anna Hernandez



Lisa Andrews 781-5140 Lisa.Andrews@slo.courts.ca.gov
Carolyn McMickle 781-5478 Carolyn.McMickle@slo.courts.ca.gov
Cassie Frasher 781-5159 Cassie.Frasher@slo.courts.ca.gov
Christina Schwandt 781-5480 Christina.Schwandt@slo.courts.ca.gov
Shannon Wilson 788-2463 Shannon.Wilson@slo.courts.ca.gov
Donna Mechem 781-5223 donna.mechem@slo.courts.ca.gov

If you should have any questions, contact our Transcript Request Line at (805) 788-3454 and your call will be returned.

Purchasing A Transcript

Attorneys or private citizens who have a need for the written record of a public court proceeding may purchase a transcript directly from the court reporter who reported the hearing. The interested party should personally contact the court reporter and make arrangements for the preparation of the transcript.  The following information will be required before a transcript can be prepared:

  1. Case number
  2. Case name
  3. Date(s) of hearing
  4. Name of the judge or courtroom in which the hearing was held
  5. Please specify if you are requesting the entire hearing, the judge's orders only, or a specific portion of the transcript

The name of the court reporter who reported the hearing can be found on the Case Summary for that hearing, which is prepared by the courtroom clerk. You may view or purchase a copy of the Case Summary at the clerk's office during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). You may contact the court reporter directly by telephone, e-mail, or fill out a "Request for Transcript" form, which is available in the clerk's office or may be downloaded from this web site.

Transcripts are purchased on a per page basis, as governed by Government Code Section 69950. The court reporter will contact you with an estimate of the cost of the transcript. The court reporter will not release the transcript until payment has been received.


Request for Juvenile Transcripts

To request court reporter transcripts, please complete the Application for Transcripts of Juvenile hearings.  Submit the completed application to the courtroom clerk or the clerk’s office at Juvenile Services Center or in Room 220 at the Courthouse Annex.

Upon approval by the Judge of the Juvenile Court, you will be contacted with information regarding payments and transcripts preparation.

Click here for a copy of the Application for Transcripts of Juvenile hearings.